Introduction to Successful Three-Way Relationships
Some people may wonder if they can be in love with two partners at the same time. Those who are new to the concept of a three-way union aren't even aware that such things were possible. Should anyone find themselves deeply in love with two people simultaneously, this may be a way out.
There are many forms of having a three-way relationship. The first one — closed throuples — involves all partners being committed to only one another, and engaging in any sexual activity with anyone outside of their triangle is considered cheating. In another type — open throuples — partners are dating each other as well; however, everyone is allowed to engage in sexual activities with random people to a certain extent. Lastly, all people in a three-person relationship allowed to have additional partners outside the triangle belong to polyamorous throuples.
Triad Relationship Rules
Like with any union, three-person relationships require a tremendous amount of work from every partner. One can mess up a three-way union in several ways:
- Letting one of the partners feel left out or less significant than the other,
- Two partners getting closer to each other, making the third feel jealous,
- and many others.
Nonetheless, with clear communication and respect towards one another, a triad relationship has a huge chance of success.
Being polyamorous might be a great choice for some people as it has advantages that regular unions don't, like getting involved with more than one person at a time. If you'd like to explore a three-way relationship, consider the rules mentioned below.
- Mutual respect between partners: If you choose a three-person union, you have to keep in mind that one or even both of your partners might have other partners outside your triangle. A simple approach to keep a triad relationship on solid ground is not to become too attached. Should your emotions get the best of you, your cynicism may show your immaturity to deal with things you consented to and drive your partner(s) away.
- Have rational expectations: Three-person relationships can be difficult to stomach for some. Imagine having to endure not one personality with mood swings and whims, but two. Keeping your expectations low is your best bet not to get heartbroken. There's always a chance that a triad union can fall apart. To secure your heart, you have to be open to the idea of bidding your partners farewell at any time.
- Clear communication is key: This rule cannot be overlooked or taken lightly. Triad relationships require even more communication than monogamous ones. With the high possibility of rapid change in this union, you must let your partners know how your feeling or if you've had a change of heart, or if you're in a polyamorous Triad relationship, you must inform your partners that you're dating someone else.
- Decide if your interests align with your partner's: Let's imagine that your partner decides to invite a third person you know nothing about to spice things up a bit. How would you react to it? Initiate a three-person relationship only if you're genuinely interested in it or are curious to find out how it works. If you're more into traditional ways of dating, it may not be a good idea since jealousy can eat you out alive.
- Set boundaries: This rule comes hand in hand with clear communication. If a partner in a triad relationship is dating another person, respect the time they spend together. Don't pressure them into spending time with you solely. In a three-person union, respecting your partner's privacy also includes you not texting nor calling them all the time while they're on the date. Doing so flourishes mutual respect between the three of you and encourages all parties to be better.
Three-Way Relationship Quotes
"I reserve the right to love many different people at once, and to change my prince often." (Anaïs Nin)
Three-way relationships give you the euphoric feeling of liberty by allowing you to immerse in romance with more than one individual. A feeling of not being tied up by society's norms or traditions is what sets triad relationships apart from normal unions.
"They'll say you are bad or perhaps you are mad or at least you should stay undercover. Your mind must be bare if you would dare to think you can love more than one lover." (David Rovics)
Indeed, loving more than one person is courageous and liberating. One does not often experience an emotional breakthrough by finding not one but two people to connect with and start a three-way union. Even though some may call throuples excessive, three-person relationships are nothing to be ashamed of.
"The point for me is to create relationships based on deeper and more real notions of trust. So that love becomes defined not by sexual exclusivity, but by actual respect, concern, commitment to act with kind intentions, accountability for our actions, and a desire for mutual growth." (Dean Spade)
To experience casual love by starting a triad relationship, one should do their best to establish mutual understanding. Being able to let your guard down with someone you can count on is the essence of a three-way union. Thanks to this, not only can you lead a fulfilling sexual life, but you can also have many pleasant moments outside of it.
"Security comes first from inside of you. Then, if you are very lucky, you will be in a position to find other people who also possess that same sort of security and build some sort of family or community as a team." (Anthony D. Ravenscroft)
Being a strong-willed person is a great trait, allowing you to be confident enough to surpass society's norms and explore your emotions and needs. Thanks to a three-way relationship, you can have not one but two great partners. However, triad relationships require more effort than a monogamous union since insecure individuals may ruin everything once they sense any inequality towards them.
Can a Three-Way Relationship Work?
As a matter of fact, yes. Many people in triad relationships tend to be very happy together. This kind of union requires more work than the usual monogamous ones. However, as long as you share the same interests and are on the same page as your partners, a three-way relationship will allow you to have an exciting romantic life.
Indeed, a three-person union where every individual involved puts in work can become healthy and balanced. The main difficulty of a three-way relationship is understanding more than one person's personality, mood, interests in life, preferences, and lifestyle. Honesty, communication, and respect are essential for the success of a triad relationship.
If a slight feeling of unfair division of attention grows in one partner, things may get complicated. The dynamics of a three-person relationship are different from conventional ones; therefore, things must be treated differently. A most thoughtful way to avoid any issues is to make space for clear communication of needs in the union.
Another possible downside of a triad relationship is when a conflict occurs between the three of you, taking anybody's side becomes a challenge. Should you pick wrong, and your choice can drastically affect the state of your three-person union.
The key factor that indicates the health of a three-person relationship is whether all parties are comfortable with speaking out. Are you familiar with honest and clear communication but struggle to open up? Tell your three-way partners if it isn't easy for you and let them assist you.
When it comes to triad relationships, severely unconfident partners may turn it into a nightmare. There's no place for insecurity here. Occasionally, you might have to take the lead if sensing that any partner in a three-person union is getting hesitant about anything. The situation needs to be dealt with quickly before any conflicts arise. Let your three-way partners know that they're appreciated and loved. Make sure they understand that there are no favorites in a triad relationship, and everyone is equal.
Also, drama has no place in a three-person union. The best way to prevent any drama is to address every issue before things turn into the "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" series.
To summarize, you have to keep in mind that you are decided to enter a three-person relationship for the fun of it. Thus, don't be too suppressed by the rules or fear of making a mistake. In time, you'll get to understand your three-way partners better — what upsets them, their fears, what makes them happy or sad, their past, and so on. The success of a three-person relationship is highly dependable on many factors like honesty, trust, clear communication, consent, compromise, and confidence. Master these, and you're good to go.
A three-person relationship is all about experiencing new things and fulfilling your emotional needs. As long as you're considerate of one another's feelings, a triad union has a high probability of working out. And, of course, don't forget to have fun along the way!